Make Math Part of Your Child’s Day
• Point out to your child the many ways in which math is used in everyday activities.
• Encourage your child to tell or show you how he or she uses math in everyday life.
• Include your child in everyday activities that involve math – making purchases, measuring ingredients, counting out plates and utensils for dinner.
• Play games and do puzzles with your child that involve math. They may focus on direction or time, logic and reasoning, sorting, or estimating.
• Do math problems with your child for fun.
• In addition to math tools, such as a ruler and a calculator, use handy household objects, such as a measuring cup and containers of various shapes and sizes, when doing math with your child.